Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Meaning of Mistletoe

I had a wonderful girl-day yesterday with a couple friends of mine. Fabulous lunch, movies, "shopping" and a nice treat at Olive Garden to finish off the night. As we were wrapping up to leave the restaurant I overhead the conversation behind me. It was kind of hard to miss because she was so excited reliving a moment to her friends - she just got engaged! He took her to Proof (nice fancy restuarant), and when they came out of the restaurant he had the white horse and buggy there ready to ride around the lit-up town. And as the buggy rounded the Christmas Tree "square," he bent on one knee and proposed - in the buggy with the Christmas tree and millions of other beautiful lights shining around them. It truly was a romantic moment, and even I was transported for the reliving of it.



So on my way home I put on my "Love Me" playlist...full of love songs. I hadn't played that in AWHILE! I usually just get really cynical, but this night I was full of hope for what being in love can be like. I hadn't had that feeling for a long time, and last night I think I was just in love with the idea of being in love. How can you not with songs like "A Kiss To Build A Dream On" sung by Louis Armstrong. I included it here for your enjoyment while you read on about the history of mistletoe, and I wish all kinds of warm fuzzy feelings for everybody during this holiday season! Yes, even in the midst of whatever drama may be going on, I encourage you to find those moments that warm your heart. Kisses y'all!







Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones





Kissing under the mistletoe (found from this site):
Kissing under the mistletoe is first found associated with the Greek festival of Saturnalia and later with primitive marriage rites. They probably originated from two beliefs. One belief was that it has power to bestow fertility. It was also believed that the dung from which the mistletoe would also possess "life-giving" power. In Scandinavia, mistletoe was considered a plant of peace, under which enemies could declare a truce or warring spouses kiss and make-up. Later, the eighteenth-century English credited with a certain magical appeal called a kissing ball. At Christmas time a young lady standing under a ball of mistletoe, brightly trimmed with evergreens, ribbons, and ornaments, cannot refuse to be kissed. Such a kiss could mean deep romance or lasting friendship and goodwill. If the girl remained unkissed, she cannot expect not to marry the following year. In some parts of England the Christmas mistletoe is burned on the twelfth night lest all the boys and girls who have kissed under it never marry. Whether we believe it or not, it always makes for fun and frolic at Christmas celebrations. Even if the pagan significance has been long forgotten, the custom of exchanging a kiss under the mistletoe can still be found in many European countries as well as in Canada. Thus if a couple in love exchanges a kiss under the mistletoe, it is interpreted as a promise to marry, as well as a prediction of happiness and long life. In France, the custom linked to mistletoe was reserved for New Year's Day: "Au gui l'An neuf" (Mistletoe for the New Year). Today, kisses can be exchanged under the mistletoe any time during the holiday season.

1 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

What a sweet intro! Thanks. And the mistletoe stuff is interesting. I guess I don't need one in my house!haha

 
;