Thursday, March 20, 2008

First Day of Spring: Flood & Frost



Who would have thought? Floods. Took me an extra hour-and-a-half to get to work Wednesday just trying to find my way to the highway. So after a struggling morning to even wake up, I knew there would be the cornfield-turned-lake off my back yard, but I never imagined my truck would be iced over!

But as the old saying goes, "If March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb. If March comes in like a lamb, it will go out like a lion." So for my tulips' sake, I hope the lamb shows up soon. And do you think by some "coincidence" the weather will be lamb-like for Easter?

Another weather saying from the Farmer's Almanac: Wind northeast or north at noon of the vernal equinox, no fine weather before midsummer. If westerly or southwesterly, fine weather till midsummer. And some more from the Farmer's Almanac:

Ring around the Moon? Rain real soon.
A ring around the Moon usually indicates an advancing warm front, which means precipitation. Under those conditions, high, thin clouds get lower and thicker as they pass over the Moon. Ice crystals are reflected by the Moon’s light, causing a halo to appear.

March 21 —Full Worm Moon
At the time of this spring Moon, the ground begins to soften and earthworm casts reappear, inviting the return of robins. This is also known as the Sap Moon, as it marks the time when maple sap begins to flow and the annual tapping of maple trees begins.

0 comments:

 
;