Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Relationships & Names

There was a Suze Orman conference show on PBS last night. I only got to catch the last few minutes. If you know who Suze is - she's all about women knowing their money. There was one point where someone from the audience would go to a microphone and ask her a question - she would talk with them, find out about their money practice - and she'd give them advice. Well, one remark she made struck me as funny - "you need a healthy relationship with your money." Now, we all know that money is an object - but didn't even Jesus refer to money as a master? My philosophy about money is the same as hers - it needs to work for me, not me for it. But I laughed last night because of the whole relationship perspective of it - and I don't have enough of it to have a relationship with it! LOL!

And the other thing she did was "say your name." How do you say your name? Is it with confidence? Do you like your name? Do you know the meaning of your name? I used to hate my name growing up...mainly because people would want to call me Christine or rarely spell it right. Then there's the whole middle-name-thing. Christy Jean - why? I would ask my mom. She swears she named me after a childhood friend of hers. But now...little does she know how much it means to me. The difference is - I now know the meaning. Christy is obvious - it's a form of Christian (Christ-follower), and Jean is a derivitive of John: English form of Iohannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". How amazing is that.

What meaning does your name have? Check out this site: Behind The Name

2 comments:

Joe Rollins said...

That's really neat. I will check out my name when I can and let you know what it means. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca Jo said...

I always thought my name meant "Captivating" - I saw that in other places too - but this is saying the Hebrew is "A snare" or I found other Hebrew meanings for it - "To tie" - "To Bind" or "A knotted cord" - hhmmm....Ricky would agree that it could go the way of a Noose (hehe!!)

 
;