Monday, June 23, 2008

What a thought...




So I'm flying out to Vegas for meetings this week, and it just crosses my mind -- how do clouds stay up in the air? I know, I know, I should have just slept, but it crossed my mind. I'm sure it has something to do with density or science stuff and if somebody knew and explained it I could understand. It was just a nice pondering.



And I LOVE to fly. The whole process never ceases to amaze me and I always feel physically closer to heaven. But those long flights on a FULL plane can be a little rough. I prefer the window - I like to see where I'm going. And my boss takes the aisle -- and a UPS pilot took the center. He's originally from Greece.



The meetings this week are two-fold. The first couple of days are a training - "Achieving Breakthrough Results" (ABR). The third day is marketing meetings with the ad agencies and franchisees. Now this ABR training is wrapped around "triangular thinking." The book "Business Beyond the Box, Applying Your Mind for Breathrough Results," written by John O'Keefe of Procter & Gamble is what is driving the methods. I got about half of the book read on the flight over.



Here's a few snippets of the book I liked:


  • There's only one reason you would give up several years of your life, there's only one reason you go to the Olympics, there's only one aim for each of hte top teams there, and that's GET GOLD.

  • Performance in the past shouldn't be allowed to interfere with setting goals for the future. No individual or team preparing for the Olympics lets the performance last time dictate the goal this time. They dissociate themselves from the past and create their own future.

  • Simply gaining information on your competitor is like studying all the muscles and armor of Goliath. All that will do is make your organization paralyzed as it learns how strong Goliath is. Instead, study how David beat Goliath and use that knowhow.

Now, I'm not sure if this guy is a Christian or not, but I can see how a lot of this can be applied to minstry. The goals would be different, but method and concept would work. Be interesting to try out.

One more little thing. I found this online Spiritual Gifts Assessment from Southland Christian in Lexington, KY. It's cool cause it adds up your answers and spits out the results right there.

1 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

FLYING???? I just got dizzy & nauseated.... Have fun in Vegas though! The M&M Shop is my favorite place there - surrounded by all that chocolate - the BEST!

 
;