Friday, September 5, 2008

Your Last Day

Wednesday night we gave the kids a Behavior Expectation list. This puts in writing what our expectations of them are: no PDA, no underwear showing, no foul language, no drugs - get along, etc. Ryan gave a message to the kids on expectations. And he touched on Ryan S. dying last week in a car wreck (which was very hard to do). Ryan S. didn't EXPECT Tuesday to be his last day on Earth. If he did - what would he have done differently? And that was one of Ryan's points. What would you do differently if you knew it was your last day to live here?

What would I do? Being a single person - my answer would be completely different from you married folks. But I bet there would be one similiarity - spend time with the ones you love. Let them know how much I love them, how much they mean to me. Although, I grasped this awhile back - I try to let people know how much I care NOW - why wait? And some I can only tell in-part, but I hope eventually they'll know in-full how much I care. Of course, I'd love to ride the Rock n' Roller Coaster one last time.


I listened to Dave Stone from Southeast on the way in to work this morning. And he talked about what would be on your headstone when you died. What would be your epitaph in 12 words or less? And I thought about that as well as my dad's funeral last year, and other funerals I have been to. My dad did not live his life for Jesus. He was not a good example of love. He only had 16 people there - 9 of which were there to support me. How many people will show up at my funeral? And how will they remember me? All the work I did - or did they really know me? Will there be flowers? And why can't I get flowers before I die?

But here's a question for you: What if YOU knew it was MY last day on Earth? What would you do differently? What if you knew it was your spouse's last day? What would you do differently? What if you knew it was your parent's last day? Your child's? Your siblings? Your best friend? That "loner" in the corner? The troublemaker? Your enemy? What would you do?

0 comments:

 
;