Thursday, October 16, 2008

He's Singing over me

One of my FAVORITE scriptures:

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV)

I can't tell you how much this meant to me when I was reminded of it in an email devotional this morning. I have been a little overwhelmed - that was an understatement yesterday. And my responses to interruptions and aggravations has not been good. And that's frustrating for me because I want to do better as a light in this world. And as excited as I am about the mission trip (only 2 days left!), I've still been under deadlines and a huge load of work that isn't getting done before I go.

Part of me, no - most of me, needs have a sense of accomplishment in a day. If I can't get a certain percentage of my to-do list done, then I've failed. And I have already failed when I wake up simply because I am behind from the day before. And why is that? I used to be able to handle more work than this. And this week I figured it out. I've been putting PEOPLE before WORK. Go figure.

Jesus' work WAS people. My work up to this point hasn't been about people - just pushing papers and planning for people. Lately though, I've been spending actual time with people. And I LOVE IT! But my work wasn't ALL getting done. But the I wouldn't trade the time with my best friends and mom for anything in the world. And I'm pretty sure when my "exit interview" comes in front of God, He's not going to ask me how much "work" I got done.

So while I am still plugging away at finishing some work projects, God's love is what can quiet me. And I love to imagine Him singing over me...can you imagine what that sounds like? Think of your favorite voices and mix them all together (like a rushing river, but as soft as a gentle flowing creek -- the whisper in the wind). I feel better already!

0 comments:

 
;