Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Foreshadowing

Foreshadowing is when an Old Testament event mirrors the life of Jesus. For example, Abraham willing to sacrifice Isaac on the mountain is a foreshadowing of God's sacrificing his own son for our sins. Well, this morning I learned a new one for me.

In Genesis you can read about Joseph - which is one of my favorites. Towards the end of the story, Joseph reveals himself to his brothers and says, "You can see for yourselves, and so can my brother Benjamin, that it is really I who am speaking to you." (read the story here). They thought they were seeing a ghost after what they had done to him years ago! Fast-forward to Jesus' ressurection.

In Luke (24:36-49) it is recorded that after Jesus appeared to the two walking to Emmaus, He appeared to the disciples - out of nowhere! And he tells them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." They thought they were seeing a ghost!

Do you see it? Joseph reveals himself to his group of brothers - Jesus reveals himself to his group of disciple brothers. This was one of the coolest foreshadowings I've seen in awhile! It still amazes me how intertwined the Bible is!

0 comments:

 
;