Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Life is...like school




Life is like going through school...you are always learning (or should be). Be it something new and exciting, or lessons learned from bad mistakes and failed projects, but we should always be learning.



My great-grandma died at the age of 98. And right up to the moment she got too sick to move - she was still learning new things: new words, puzzles to solve, crochet patterns to master, people's birthdays, historical tidbits, you name it - she had a learning spirit. I just hope I can hold on to that kind of spirit in my life.



With my time off from a job I've been learning a lot about myself - mainly how burned-out I actually was. How trying to live-up to or exceed the expectations of others only leads to emptiness. That I am not worthy to be saved, but because Christ loved me He died on a cross for me - He has made me worthy to be co-heir with Him. I've learned how even cats can have separation issues. How just because I can figure something out - doesn't mean you have it figured out, and I am learning to see it from your side of the table. I've learned I have too much STUFF in my house! I've learned that mulch disappears after a storm. I'm learning how to be still and KNOW that GOD...IS.



And there's going to be TESTS! Oh my is there ever going to be tests! Do you know when you're in one? Does God do the testing - or just allow it? Does He grade on a curve? How do you know when you've passed a test? Does everyone get the same test? How do you study for those?



There are plenty of times when you need to study alone: study the Word, pray, meditate, take a nap, hike a trail, or pet the cat to relax - you get the idea. Then other times you need a study group. Get with a fellow group of like-minded souls (believers, friends, buddies, whatever), and get real. Circle the wagons, so to speak, during trials. Come to the round table, O ye knights (in tights, or flip-flops - whichever) in preparation for battle that starts in the mind.



What about the answers to the tests? Will we know this side of eternity? I present to you one of my all-time favorite versus: Jeremiah 33:3 - 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' That's God speaking! He'll reveal the answers to you if you pay attention in class!


Grace & Peace y'all!

0 comments:

 
;