Thursday, April 24, 2008

What in the world happened?

I got this excerpt from a coworker who monitors our trade magazines (media, advertising, etc.):


  • HBO has a new dark comedy project in the works titled Hung about a well-endowed middle-aged man who learns to use his best asset to his advantage, reports Variety. The project is from Colette Burson and Dmitry Lipkin (creator of FX's The Riches) in addition to Michael Rosenburg of Blueprint Entertainment. All three will executive produce. This is the first big project under new HBO Entertainment president Sue Naegle's leadership.



Now - I'm all for good, entertaining shows. But give me a break. At what point did this kind of show become acceptable entertainment for the masses? But here's something to think about: for each new generation of shows/movies/music - the bar gets raised, the boundaries are pushed. Was Andy Griffith Show ever controversial in its day? How about I Love Lucy. From what I've heard - those Luci and Desi were the first to actually sleep in the same bed on TV. Not to mention they were an inter-racial couple.




Did you ever see Gunsmoke? Did you ever see blood when someone got shot? At what point was it ok for blood, guts, and gore to be on tv as family entertainment? And what about that relationship between Dillon and Ms. Kitty!



Each generation for television is just the next season. How do they make it bigger and better to keep us entertained? And when do we draw the line? How do we draw the line? DO we draw the line?



Jesus talks a lot about "the world." He tells us that we are the light of the world. Are we as Christians being light in this world -- am I being a light in this world? He also says in Matthew 16:6 - "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?" No good at all I tell ya! And what about this: "Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin! Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they come!" WOE! (the word woe is used to express grief, regret, or distress). Not good for the people who put evil on the screens -- and not really good for us to watch it!



I am certainly not preaching to anyone else on this. But I have been convicted lately to not watch certain stuff on TV - like Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy - did I miss the start of them? The writers' strike was a blessing in disguise. Now - I still like to watch TV - and I have a great stash of cartoons, but I believe the transfer to all-digital next year will be my cut-off for even regular tv. Maybe. At least I still have my cartoon stash.



But back to Jesus. He KNEW this world we live in is hard. So much so he prayed for the disciples (and consquently, us): (John 17:14-16): "I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it." That falls under, GROOVY! (Tony Kemper started it!) We are not of this world - Jesus himself said so. But we have to live in it - be a light in it - and that's hard a lot of times. But He's right there with us!



So - remember these shows? What are some of the "wish they still had that one on" shows did you like? Bet ya can't tell which ones would be my favorites :-)
















0 comments:

 
;